Thursday, May 1, 2014

Sport Pages 15


  • Before this class, I didn't know really all of the facets that went into the sport world.  I didn't know how much cultural aspects go into what types of sports people normally play.  One thing that I really took away from the class was what really happens to professional athletes after their careers and how there isn't really a clean transition into assimilating to the real world.  I always that that during their careers, they would make so much money that they would be set fro life but that really isn't the case all the time.
  • For the most part, it hasn't changed drastically but it has shed a little bit more light on aspects of sports that I really overlooked.  For example I feel like now if I were on a sports team that I would be a lot more accepting of having someone on the team who was LGBTQiAA because of all we have learned about the issue and how progress needs to be made in the sporting world.
  • The facts that stood out the most was post professional athlete life (mentioned earlier) and how vicious Paralympic sports such as Murderball can be.  The unit about disabled bodies as a whole just really opened my eyes to the fact that they are just as competitive as any athlete out there.
  • Even though my sporting career has been over from high school, I feel like moving on after this class into the real world I will think about all of the concepts that we have learned whenever I am attending a sporting event or watching one on TV.  I'll probably listen a lot more to the commentary and see exactly how they touch on topics such as the sports ethic and toughness in sport.
  • I would most likely recommend this class to a friend because most people I know are (or have been) some sort of athlete and I think that it would help them be a lot more open minded with different topics in sport as it did with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment