Thursday, January 30, 2014

Sport Society & Me


Sport Society & Me

            Sports have always been a big part of my life.  My first sport I started playing as a kid was soccer but then I eventually moved on to playing basketball and football, which I played for all four years at my high school.  To me, sport means competition while making close relationships with your teammates and your coach.  My teammates eventually felt like brothers and all of my coaches became somewhat of father figures.
            To me, I think that sport plays a positive role for the most part because within a team, it unifies and gives the players, coaches and staff a sense of togetherness and unify everyone involved.  For the American society as a whole, I think that sport is a great spectacle and form of entertainment that should be upheld.  Although there can be opposing fans that may feel very strongly about their teams and potentially don’t see eye to eye, the sports culture still has an overall fun and competitive nature to it that almost anyone can participate in if they choose to.  Also, sports bring in a sizeable profit to the economy from buying merchandise to going to the actual games.
            The successful athletes themselves are held in significantly high regard and respect within the society mainly because of the entertainment that they bring to the viewer.  In addition to this, successful athletes serve as role models to younger athletes who aspire to peruse goals in their sporting career.  On the other hand athletes who are not successful or who do not carry themselves with a respectable demeanor can inversely disrespected but regardless if they are respected or disrespected, they are still social icons that are highly talked about in our society.    


No comments:

Post a Comment